Monday, October 15, 2012

Embracing the Chaos

Do you ever have one of those weeks? You know, where you just feel downright useless and absolutely unproductive? Yeah, well, that was me last week! Honestly, I was getting pretty discouraged. My house was falling apart, the laundry was so backed up it was ridiculous, and my children were behaving horribly! I felt like I was beginning to fail, and I almost began to question my position at home. Almost. 

I am constantly reminded that God is faithful. He is my strength and my help. He will never leave me. Even when I am very clearly in a position that is deserving of being left! My Heavenly Father consistently and patiently guides me every single second of every single day. Sometimes He is leading me through a desert, and sometimes He is leading me onto a mountain top. Whatever the case, my sweet Savior is faithful. I am so encouraged when I think of His love and unending grace! Even when my house is complete chaos. Even when my kids seem to forget that they are supposed to be perfect angels. Even when I am just about as mean as I can be to my husband, through no fault of his own. God is still here. God is still moving. God is still working.

I am part of a page on Facebook called Proverbs 31 Women. I am constantly blessed and challenged by these women, most of whom I have never met. I will probably never meet most of them this side of heaven. But what a joyous day it will be when we encounter one another in eternity! Someone posted this article on the page last week, and I just had to share it here. Wives and moms, be encouraged by this. Be lifted up. You are not failing. We are not failing. 

This week, I am embracing the chaos. I am enjoying the mess and the clutter. (In moderation...) I am choosing to be so very thankful for this season of my life. One day, I'll  have a house free of random toys. One day, I'll have time to actually finish the loads of laundry that I started with such zeal at the beginning of the day. One day, my house will always be decorated with super cute accessories for every season and every holiday. One day, I might even be so organized that I don't even have any more junk piles! 

But today is not that day. Today, I will relish the tiny hand prints on the side of my bed. I will smile at the absurd mound of toys in the corner of my living room. I will embrace the plastic dishes that are constantly overflowing in my sink. I will laugh when I find ANOTHER sippy cup in ANOTHER room! 
Because tomorrow, these things will be gone. 

Tomorrow, they'll be too tall to put their hand prints on my bed. Tomorrow, they won't care to play with their toys in the living room anymore, choosing instead to play alone in their rooms. Tomorrow, there won't be bright-colored plastic dishes and sippy cups, only Fiestaware and red tumblers.

Moms, embrace the chaos. Love the mess. Enjoy the smudges. Let the laundry go so you can go outside with your kids. Just this once, live in the moment. Relish their childhood. Because tomorrow, it will be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment