Monday, December 27, 2010

To say that Christmas was exciting this year would be the understatement of the century. It was a whirlwind. Snuggled up on the couch tonight with my laptop, it's a bit difficult for me to believe that it's actually over! I can still see our Christmas lights outside of my window. It's colder outside than it had been in a long time. And my tree and decorations are still smiling at me around my living room, reminding me that, even though it's December 27, it can still be the most wonderful time of the year.

We had a great time with precious Lorelai on her first Christmas! Saturday morning, we were quite lazy. I think Lo finally decided she needed to get out of bed around 8:30. Mommy was quite thankful for the extra sleep. Jeremy had beat us, getting up earlier to cook his yummy homemade biscuits that have quickly become a Christmas tradition in the Mitchell house.

After breakfast, Jeremy read Lorelai the Christmas story in Luke 2 for the first time. It was absolutely precious to me. We have a nativity scene that my dad brought home from Ghana one year. I proudly display it in my home every Christmas. Not only does it remind me of my Jesus, but it reminds me of the precious people of Ghana as well. As Jeremy read the story, I gave Lorelai the characters to look at and play with. It was definitely a moment I won't soon forget. I want this to always be the reason we wake up on Christmas morning.

Even though she probably couldn't have cared less, we decided that it was probably time to start opening gifts. I really thought Lorelai would be into the gift opening more than she was at Christmas. She loves to tear paper, so I thought surely she would at least enjoy ripping them open! We tried and tried to let her do it on her own, but she just couldn't stay focused. That Dunlap ADD was kicking in:) So we opened her gifts for her. She only got 2 from us this year, and for good reason. This kid racked up! One gift was a flop, but the other was a total hit! She absolutely loves to pack and unpack things, so when she discovered that her train was full of blocks to play with, she was hooked. We had the best time just watching her play with that toy! What precious moments for us as a family.

Finally, it was time to get dressed and head out for our visits to family. We had lunch with the Mitchells, where Lorelai enjoyed a nice 2+ hour nap! Once she woke up, we loaded up and headed to the Dunlaps for our traditional Holiday Inn movie. Even though it's always chaotic at our house, we love to watch Bing and Fred fight over their ladies in Holiday Inn every Christmas!

What a wonderful day we had. I've already looked through pictures and videos several times. At one point, I told Jeremy that no one but us would care about all of these things in a few years. He just smiled and said, "That's ok. They'll always be special to us." I agree. I hope I never forget sweet Lorelai's first Christmas. To God be the glory...great things He has done!

1 comment:

  1. That all sounds wonderful to me! Next christmas look for a kitchen/food set. It has always been a big hit in my family. Ian still plays with his two years later, and my nephew Jaxon got his this Christmas and loves it, no other toys matter. Although you might should be ok with mess/chaos if you go this route because Jaxon likes to use the coffee table as a prep area and the food stays strode out most of the time.
    Mom and I wanted to watch Holiday Inn this Christmas but mistakenly grabbed White Christmas, which neither of us had ever seen, good, but not the same thing.
    Glad your Christmas was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete