Saturday, March 10, 2012

It's Movie Night!

More often than not, my evenings pass in such a blur, that I don't even really know what I've done until I'm drifting off to sleep and making my to-do list for the next day. Most of them consist of cooking and cleaning up after dinner, changing diapers, bathing kids, taming toddler tantrums, and finally getting the kids to bed, usually before 8:30. There may even be the occasional load of laundry or quick sweep and mop of the floors before I finally drag myself to bed, sometime between 9:00 and 11:00. Before you roll your eyes and click away, this isn't a pity party, I promise. Hang with me!

It seems like I've been seeing a lot of posts of Facebook and Twitter about movie nights lately. You know the ones... "Snuggled up with my babies watching a movie!" or "Curled up on the couch with my loves for movie night!" I don't know about you, but these posts make me want to throw up in my mouth just a little. Not because I think movie nights or snuggles are silly. No way. It likely stems from fierce jealousy. Who do these people think they are?! Don't they have responsibilities?! How in the world is their house so clean and their children so well-behaved?! Or the best one yet...I must not love my kids because we NEVER have movie night! Well, no more excuses! Tonight, we were doing a movie night!

The idea came to me while the 4 of us were hanging out on the kitchen floor. It seems that we've been spending a lot of time there lately. Trek really enjoys the toys we have on the refrigerator, so that's usually where we "drop" him while we unload everything else at the end of the day. Then it seems like we all end up in the floor for at least a minute or two, discussing dinner plans, sharing about our day, and stealing kisses from the kiddos. It's a lot of fun really, and I'm often tempted to stay there until bedtime! Stupid responsibilities...

So Jeremy was going to be gone, and the kids and I were going to get in our PJs early, make a pallet in the floor of blankets and pillows, and snuggle up to enjoy a movie. I pictured it in my head perfectly. We would laugh and eat cheese balls (per Lorelai's request) and Jeremy would find us all cuddled up and fast asleep when he got home. And that's exactly how it happened...in my head.

Everyone did actually cooperate really well at first! Lorelai didn't find anything to complain about, and Trek was full and happy when we turned off the lights and sat down to start the movie. We were all giggling and playing and dancing to the music. It really was perfect! Lorelai is such a goof ball, so she broke out her fake laugh before the previews were even over. (Yes, we watched previews. We took it old school and watched a VHS tonight! *gasp*). Trek thinks his sister is hilarious, so he cracked up every time she laughed! We were definitely enjoying ourselves. And then it happened. My sweet boy got sick. He got really sick! To say it was everywhere would be an understatement. Just like that, our snuggles and giggles were over, and my brain switched to "gotta-get-things-done" mode.

Everybody needed a bath, and everything had to be washed. Thankfully, both kids were extremely cooperative, and by 8:00, Trek was cozy in his bed, and Lorelai was dancing to "Bibbity-bobbity-boo" in her clean PJs. The best part of our evening came when my sweet girl crawled into my lap and fell asleep snuggled against my neck. I could have put her to bed immediately. I knew she was exhausted and I wouldn't bother her by moving her. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead, we laid together for almost an hour. I tried my best to memorize everything about holding my Lorelai. I couldn't help but steal kisses and thank God for every single second of our night together.

So maybe we didn't have the perfect movie night. Maybe we didn't even make it to Cinderella's breakfast delivery. Maybe we never got to eat those cheese balls. But we did make some wonderful memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment