Monday, April 8, 2013

Falling Off the Wagon

Have you ever set out to completely change how you do something? Maybe it's the way you eat. Or the way you clean. Or the way you dress. Or the way you spend money. Isn't it funny how "easy" it all is in the beginning? It only takes a few days for reality to set in!

I don't know about you, but any time I feel motivated or driven to change something, I always get super pumped. It seems so easy! Especially when you Google it. Stupid Google...such a blessing and a curse. I decided last summer that it was time to be proactive in saving some money around here. After all, when your goal is to be a single-income family, there have to be some sacrifices! 

My first step was cleaning supplies. I've blogged about these before, so I won't bore you with details. I started small, making my own cleaner for my kitchen counters. Soon, I had completely replaced every cleaning product around my house with natural, inexpensive cleaners.  

Laundry soap was my next venture. Simple, safe, and SO CHEAP! I spent around $12.00, about the cost of a large bottle of detergent, on my supplies last June. After nearly a year, I've only had to make my soap one other time, and my supplies are still going strong! I estimate I will be able to make 3-4 more batches before I have to buy more ingredients. Score!

After laundry, came shampoo! I saw the idea on Pinterest, and pondered it for a few weeks before ditching the store-bought, chemical-laden shampoo and conditioner for baking soda, water, and vinegar. My sister-in-law walked me through the process, and I've been dedicated ever since! Well...except the other night...I fell off the no-poo wagon. And I was so ashamed! After getting a tad discouraged with less-than-perfect results {still better than the grease ball my hair had become with shampoo}, I let myself get in a hurry, didn't make myself a new batch of shampoo, and used some leftover shampoo I had in my shower. And I SO regret it! 

But just because I fell off the wagon, doesn't mean I can't jump back on, right?? 

2 comments:

  1. I'd love if you'd share your recipes for these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha! Sometimes I feel like I spend more time chasing the wagon than riding on it! Have you seen this series on homemade shampoo? She talks about not loving the results of the vinegar and baking soda method and some good alternatives.

    http://roadto31.blogspot.com/2013/04/going-no-poo-in-new-way.html

    ReplyDelete