Friday, June 11, 2010

I Swear it was Green!

Let me start by saying that I'm thankful for law enforcement. They make a lot of sacrifices for our safety, and so do their families. Our communities wouldn't be safe without them. There...that's my disclaimer. And now here's my rant...

It's 10:00. I have Lorelai in the backseat in her pjs. We're headed home from Bible study at the North Wing. As I approach the red light on North Street to turn left onto Dudney, I find it quite strange that my light is red, and so are the lights on Dudney. I assume that someone must have been turning left from the other direction, and their light had the green arrow. So obviously I'm aware that the light is red, right? Right.

I'm slowing down to stop, when the light turns green. Awesome! I get to go home! I zip into the left turn lane and make my turn. That's when I see them. Out of nowhere, blue lights. Crap! What the heck! I can't be speeding...I just came off my brakes! Maybe a brake light is out. Yeah, that must be it. The spotlight on his car is blinding, and I literally have to duck to get away from the light in my eyes. Up walks Mr. City Cop to break the news to me. Bring it on...I'm ready.

"Ma'am, you just ran that red light."
EXCUSE ME?! I'm in total shock!
"Did I really? You've got to be kidding me!"

I hand over my stuff so he can run it in his car. While he's gone, I can't help but play back the red light over and over again. It was green! It had to be! There's no way it could change that fast! And where did you even come from anyway? You weren't behind me on North Street, so how could you even know if my light was red?

After what seems like forever, my bespeckled friend approaches my car yet again. I've been pulled over before. I've been stopped 3 other times that I remember, and I've never been given a ticket. Well, there's a first time for everything! He begins his spill about when my court date is and blah, blah, blah, but I'm not buying it. Not without an explaination. So I question him and make him explain to me exactly what I did. I want to make sure he knows that I turned left off of North Street...I didn't just roll through the red light on Dudney.

"It was green when I approached the light, sir. I'm fairly confident that I didn't run the red light when I TURNED LEFT."
"Well, ma'am, you hesitated."
...SERIOUSLY?!... This driver does NOT hesitate. But of course, you don't tell a cop that.
"Um, I hesitated? I don't understand."
"Well, by the time you decided to turn, the light had turned red."
False! That's completely incorrect.

And I can tell now that he's questioning himself. But he's already commited to writing me a ticket, and he's not gonna back down. Fine. I sign, tell him thanks, and head home. I'm mad. Really...of ALL things to get a ticket for! Pull me over for speeding, that's fine. I tend to drive fast, so I'll admit my fault, take my ticket and be on my way. I may pout because I got caught, but I won't argue with you. This, however, I just might argue. I think it may be worth the fight. This girl is not happy.

I swear that light was GREEN!

3 comments:

  1. I bet if you fight it they will throw it out! Bring Lo with you too, it might soften their hearts... plus what momma runs red lights with their infant in the car... I mean come on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl....somthing very similar happened to me....i was going to get cleaning supplies and a cop gave me a ticket for doing a redlight...he told me i didn't do the "rock back" which aparently means I didn't completely stop (ps...i was turning right on red on a "T" street with no one else around. He gave me a breathalizer and everything! I was bewildered.......then i realized it was bid night.... I can't look at law enforcement the same way now :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so incredibly infuriating! The more I think about it, the more angry it makes me. I still haven't called about the amount of the ticket. I should probably do that soon:)

    ReplyDelete