Thursday, March 4, 2010

I forgot...

Last night I was blessed with the opportunity to speak to the 5th and 6th graders in Awana at our church. They are focusing on missions, and their director wanted younger people in the church to come and talk to them so that they didn't think missions was just for "old people."

I have to be completely honest...I totally forgot about speaking until yesterday morning, so I didn't really have too much time to prepare. But that's not the forgetting that I want to talk about...

While I was telling the group about my trip that I took in 2005 to Ghana, West Africa, I really started to get excited about missions again! I've never really lost my zeal for foreign missions, and I've especially not lost my zeal for works in Africa. But I think I forgot about the passion that I felt while I was there. I forgot about the intense desire to just love people like Jesus. I forgot about the warm, welcoming smiles of the Ghanaian people. I forgot about their desperate need for a Savior. I forgot about that precious boy that broke my heart under that huge tree on that dirt rode. I forgot how much I love them...

I can't believe it's been nearly 5 years since I visited the most wonderful place I've ever been. I miss it terribly. When I read my journal entries from my trip, I long to be back in that country among the people.

I never want to forget again.

No comments:

Post a Comment